FIVS is comprised of a General Assembly, a Presidential Council, nine committees and a Secretariat.
- The General Assembly sets the overall direction for the group and is comprised of a representative from each member association.
- The Presidential Council implements the strategies set by the General Assembly and consists of a president, three vice-presidents, a treasurer and his assistant (whose duties may be combined or separated), a secretary and his assistant as well as the chairpersons of the various committees.
- The president, the vice-presidents and the treasurer are elected to two-year terms. One of the vice-presidents generally succeeds the president or completes the term if the president is unable to do so.
- The president nominates committee chairpersons who must be confirmed by the General Assembly.
- The Secretariat coordinates operations to ensure the smooth functioning of the association and the committees.
The Liaison Groups are organised around areas of interest and focus particular attention on the activities of relevant international organisations. The Group chairpersons assisted by members monitor activities; report on key developments; and participate in relevant working groups, some as NGO participants. The Liaison Groups are involved with the following organisations:
- International Organisation of the Vine and Wine (OIV)
- World Trade Organisation (WTO)
- World Customs Organisation (WCO)
- CODEX Alimentarius Commission (CODEX)
- World Health Organisation (WHO)
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO)
- International Organisation of Legal Metrology (IOLM)
- World Wine Trade Group (WWTG)
Presidents of FIVS
- 2015 - 2018: Greg Hodson (United States)
- 1998 - 2015: James Finkle (United States)
- 1996 - 1998: Alastair Eadie (United Kingdom)
- 1994 - 1996: Jan Hein Verlinden (Netherlands)
- 1993 - 1994: Jean-Jacques Bouffard (France)
- 1991 - 1993: Helmut Walser (Austria)
- 1989 - 1991: D.J.B. Rutherford (United Kingdom)
- 1987 - 1989: Hanns C. Wegeler-Deinhard (Germany)
- 1985 - 1987: A. C. Crichton (Ireland)
- 1983 - 1985: Jack Welsch (United States)
- 1981 - 1983: Comte L. Rossi di Montelera (Italy)
- 1979 - 1981: Hervé Bélèdin (France)
- 1977 - 1979: Francis Clottu (Switzerland)
- 1975 - 1977: Alfred Fourcroy (Belgium)
- 1973 - 1975: G.U. Salvi (United Kingdom)
- 1970 - 1973: Alexandre N. Zullas (Greece)
- 1967 - 1970: Enrique Barcelo Carles (Spain)
- 1964 - 1967: Carl Johan Tesdorpf (Germany)
- 1961 - 1964: Gaspard Cavallero (Switzerland)
- 1958 - 1961: Jan F. Verlinden (Netherlands)
- 1955 - 1958: Alexandre Panza di Biumo (Italy)
- 1951 - 1955: Jean Bourcier (France)
- Jean-Pierre Bonfils (France)
- Francis Clottu (Switzerland)
- Aleck C. Crichton (Ireland)
- Alastair Eadie (United Kingdom)
- Comte L. Rossi di Montelera (Italy)
- David J.B. Rutherford (United Kingdom)
- Jan Hein Verlinden (Netherlands)
- Helmut Walser (Austria)